Articles

• HOME
  • Articles
  • Articles
ISSUES
SEARCH
[Vol.31 (2019)] A Comparative Study on the Compilation of Zhu Xis Books by King Jeongjo and Chinese Philology: Fo
Author : LIN Yu-Yi
Date : 19.03.05
Page : 193-209
Keyword : King Jeongjo, Emperor Kangxi, Juja seontong, Yuzuan Zhuzi quanshu, Neo-Confucianism
Abstract :

In this paper, I examined the source and compilation method of collected works of Zhu Xi by King Jeongjo through the articles in the Gunseo pyogi written by King Jeongjo. I found that King Jeongjo used to refer to many previous collected works of Zhu Xi by Joseon scholars, instead of using the original source of Zhuzi daquan and Zhuzi yulei ׾ directly when he compiled collected works of Zhu Xi.

Among the collected works of Zhu Xi compiled by King Jeongjo, the Juja seontong was lost but the preface remains in the Gunseo pyogi. By this article, the contents can be confirmed. By comparing the contents of Jujaseontong with the previous collected works of Zhu Xi, which are remaining in Korea and China, I found out the Juja seontong by King Jeongjo and the Yuzuan Zhuzi quanshu by Emperor Kangxi both share exactly the same table of contents. This paper argues that King Jeongjo found out Emperor Kangxi already completed Zhu Xis works, Zhuzi daquan and Zhuzi yulei ׾, after the Yuzuan Zhuzi quanshu was brought into Joseon. King Jeongjo planned to compile the Juja seontong based on this book as a trial to compile the most perfectly collected works of Zhu Xi for Joseon scholars. The analysis of the new relationship between the historical data can provide us with new material for the study of Neo-Confucianism by King Jeongjo.

Attachments : LIN Yu-Yi(193-209).pdf

Previous Editor's Note
Next Two Readings of the Lunyu